Who am I?Return to Blog
Who am I?
Illustration of lion growing up amidst sheep and behaving like one
The above story aptly illustrates how all of us, - (Romans 3:12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.") - though made in the all-powerful image of the Almighty God, wander aimlessly in the dark world of Satan as people with no identity. We bleat with fear and follow his every bidding.
Then came the Lion of Judah and dragged us not to a river or a lake but to the cross so that we may see who we really are. But sad to say, even though the Lion of Judah gave His life for us, many are still behaving like the lion who grew up amongst the sheep.
The basic questions of life that have baffled philosophers and scientists through the ages are four:
"Who am I?" “Where did I come from?” "Why am I here?" and "Where am I going?" You can tell one's worldview by the way they live and answer these questions. And the world is spending millions to get to know the answers to these questions.
"The Logical Song" by Supertramp (1979)
When I was young
It seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees
Well they´d be singing so happily
Oh joyfully, oh playfully watching me
But then they sent me away
To teach me how to be sensible
Logical, oh responsible ,practical
And they showed me a world
Where i could be so dependable
Oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical
There are times when all the world´s asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won´t you please, please tell me what we´ve learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please, please tell me who I am?
The more education the more confused we become!!!!
Then there was the very confused Michael Jackson who sings a song: I’m searching for the man in the mirror.
Who am I? Ask this question and…
- The Psychologists will analyse you and put you into one of the four temperaments or one of the sixteen types of personalities
- The Astrologists labels you as one of the twelve Zodiac signs. Virgo, Leo, Scorpion etc.
- The atheist /Evolutionist will say: you are a civilized monkey
- Some Preachers will label you into three categories; 1. Hot , 2. Lukewarm, or 3. Cold
- But the Xhosa, the Zulu will ask you to rephrase your question, instead of asking who am I? You should ask; “Whose am I?
And that is hitting the nail squarely on the head.
How did Jesus answered these four universal questions of life:
Who am I?, Where did I come from?, Why am I here? and Where am I going?
"Who are you?" I am the Son of God, Luk 22:70
“Where do you come from” John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven ….
"Why are you here?" I have come to seek the lost- Luk 19:10
"Where are you going?" I am going to My Father and your Father John 20:17
Jesus could answer it because He knew His identity.
Let us try to answer these four philosophical questions; (the way that Adam, the first human would have answered it.)
Who am I?— (or better- whose am I?)
- Galatian 3:26 I am a child of God.
- We were born in the image and likeness of the Living God, and without Him we can do nothing!
- “For in him we live and move and have our being…”
- Zechariah 2:8 -I am the apple of His eye
- A South African painting worth millions has been discovered in a London flat where it was being used as a kitchen notice board, a fine art and antique dealer said on Wednesday. The antique dealer said; "I was undertaking a routine valuation when I spotted this masterpiece hanging in the kitchen covered in letters, postcards and bills.
The painting's estimated value is between R13m to R20m. From being useless to being precious.
Even if we think we nothing, God send His Son, and Jesus saw the worth in us that He gave His life for us, It was on the cross that Christ redeemed us- because we are special, we are the apple of His eye, we are the crown of His creation!
Many times we forget who we are and we become like this art piece, used for purposes that we were not intended to be. We do the dirty things that Satan wants us to do. We abuse our bodies, we fill our minds with the ugliest of things.
It’s time to rise up, it’s time to show the world who we are! Children of the most High!
God knows me – who I am. Not who I wish I was, or who I used to be, or who I want you to think that I am. God knows the me that is me, and the you that is you. And we are special and precious to God, so stand firm do not let Satan misuse you!
Where did I come from? Some say that we were dropped here by Aliens
- I came from God who knitted me in my mother’s womb Psalm 139:13
The question of where we came from is a question of great significance. It is an important question not simply because it seeks basic, foundational knowledge about our origins, it is important because the answer to this question determines our own importance.
I am fearfully and wonderfully made, for I was designed by the Almighty God, there is no one like me. I am precious and loved. We are all a gift from God.
Why am I here?
This is a question of purpose, we are essentially asking: “What is the reason for my existence?” Some believe our responsibility is to survive at all costs- “Survival of the Fittest.” Doesn’t matter the consequences…
- Ephesians 2:10 – For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
- 1 Pet. 2:9 God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
We are not here simply to exist we are here for a reason!
- Micah 6:8 – He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
Am I supposed to enjoy life while I’m here?
You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.
Do not be conformed be this world….
Where am I going?
- After the resurrection when Jesus appeared to the disciples; he said; “I am going to My Father and your Father.”
- John 14:1-3 -I am going to the place that Jesus went to prepare! The place that Paul writes about, “What no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and what no mind can conceive! That is where I am going.”
As the hymn writer says: a mansion, a robe and a crown is waiting for us.
May we never forget who we are! Christ gave His life so that we may have an identity, a purpose and direction.Amen